Thirty Years of AIDS
June 5, 2011 marked 30 years since the CDC's MMWR reported the first cases of AIDS in the U.S. Learn how we observed this day.
In the December 2011 issue of the journal AIDS Education and Prevention, Dr. Ronald Valdiserri, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Infectious Diseases, and Director, HHS Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy reflects upon the changing context of the American HIV/AIDS epidemic. Read the article (PDF 219KB).
Commemorating 30 Years of Leadership in HIV/AIDS Symposium
On June 8, HHS and Secretary Sebelius hosted “Commemorating 30 Years of Leadership in the Fight Against HIV/AIDS”. Watch and read the Secretary's speech.
“The State and Future of HIV/AIDS”
On June 15, AIDS.gov hosted a webinar/conference call with key government leaders who provided an update on where we are with the HIV epidemic and where we are going.
Look Back at the Epidemic
Timelines From a Federal Perspective
- CDC – Reflections by K. De Cock, H. Jaffe and J. Curran
- FDA – for advances in drug availability
- HRSA – for history of the Ryan White Program: timeline and a video
- NIH – for advances in research
- USAID – for its global milestones
Timelines From a Community Perspective
- AIDS United (PDF 78 KB)
(formerly AIDS Action & NAF)
- Kaiser Family Foundation - AIDS at 30 (U.S. Epidemic) and Global Timeline”
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) (PDF 916 KB) – AIDS vaccine research
- WebMD - pictoral timeline
For even more timelines, AIDS.gov has created a compiled list of timelines (PDF 1.6 MB)
Video Chat with the White House
On June 1, AIDS.gov hosted a live video chat with the White House to recognize “30 Years of AIDS”. Watch or download the video.
Watch These Retrospective Videos:
- NIH's Dr. Anthony Fauci Looks Back: View this video.
- Dázon Dixon Diallo from SisterLove on Women, Progress, and the Road Ahead: View the video.
- Dr. Jeffrey Levi from Trust for America's Health: View the video.
- Phill Wilson, Executive Director, Black AIDS Institute: View the video.
- Dr. James Curran, Dean of Emory's Rollins School of Public Health: View the video.
- Ambassador Eric Goosby: View the video.
Share Tools with your Community
Join the Conversation on Twitter, Blogs, Videos, & Other Online Spaces
- Read and comment on blog posts recognizing 30 years of AIDS on the AIDS.gov blog.
- On Twitter? Use hashtag #30Years to join the conversation on 30 years of AIDS.
- Share and watch “30 Years of AIDS” video stories.
- View and share this video: 30 Years of AIDS: HRSA's Commitment.
- Visit and join the CDC’s “30 Years of AIDS” online community.
- View and share CDC’s Dr Fenton’s 30 Years of HIV/AIDS podcast.
- Use these newsroom resources from CDC.
Read Press Statements
Read and share these statements from government leaders:
- Commemorating 30 Years of HIV/AIDS, Thomas R. Frieden, M.D., M.P.H., Director, CDC
- The 30th Anniversary of the First Reported Cases of AIDS: Statement of Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., and Jack Whitescarver, Ph.D., NIH
- Commentary: Thirty Years of AIDS in America: A Story of Infinite Hope
Ronald O. Valdiserri, MD, MPH, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Infectious Diseases, and Director, Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Learn about Other Activities
Agencies across the Federal government organized additional events and activities. Learn more here. (PDF 123 KB)