Federal Housing Assistance

To help take care of the housing needs of low-income people who are living with HIV/AIDS and their families, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) manages the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program.

Many different HOPWA programs and projects provide short-term and long-term rental assistance, operate community residences, or provide other supportive housing facilities that have been created to address the needs of people who are living with HIV/AIDS and the challenges that come with the disease.

  • Statewide HOPWA Information
    Find current contacts listed by state, maps, Executive Summaries, histories, and accomplishments for HOPWA grantees.
  • Technical Support of HOPWA Providers
    HOPWA Technical Assistance is available to all HOPWA grantees and project sponsors through the HOPWA National Technical Assistance program. Grantees interested in accessing HOPWA Technical Assistance may contact their local HUD Field Office or any HOPWA Technical Assistance provider directly for more information.

Other HUD Programs for Persons with HIV/AIDS

In addition to the HOPWA program, people living with HIV/AIDS are eligible for any HUD program for which they might otherwise qualify (such as being low-income or homeless). Programs include public housing, Section 8 housing assistance, Community Development Block Grants, and the Continuum of Care Homeless Assistance programs. For more information on housing programs, see HUD’s Online Library.

Last revised: 06/01/2012