Join AIDS.gov in Facing AIDS for World AIDS Day, December 1, 2010
Facing AIDS for World AIDS Day
December 1, 2010
Thank you to the hundreds and hundreds of you who joined AIDS.gov in Facing AIDS for World AIDS Day (December 1) and beyond. By sharing your photos and messages, you put real faces to AIDS, helped address the stigma surrounding HIV, and promoted HIV testing.
Some highlights from Facing AIDS 2010
- Here's a look back at how we asked people to participate in the Facing AIDS photo initiative:
- Download a sign (PDF) and share your message about why you’re Facing AIDS.
- Take a photo with your sign upload it to the Facing AIDS Flickr group . Visit our blog post if you have questions about using Flickr.
- Share your photo with your family and friends via Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and other sites on or before December 1st.
Tools for organizing a Facing AIDS photo event in your community
Here are some tools people used to help plan Facing AIDS events in their communities:
- Pick a time, place, & location to hold your event, or consider adding Facing AIDS to an event you already have planned for World AIDS Day.
- Promote! Promote! Tell everyone you know about your event (online and in person).
- Get your signs and pens ready! Download the Facing AIDS sign (PDF) or create your own.
- Locate a digital camera or mobile phone with photo capabilities.
- Say cheese! Bring a camera, signs, and pens to your event. Ask people to write messages about why they are Facing AIDS.
- Upload and share your photos on AIDS.gov’s Facing AIDS Flickr group and to your website and/ or social network profile. Tell your friends and family about how they can get involved.
Supporting the National HIV/AIDS Strategy
By Facing AIDS, you’re also supporting the National HIV/AIDS Strategy. According to the Strategy, “The stigma associated with HIV remains extremely high and fear of discrimination causes some Americans to avoid learning their HIV status, disclosing their status, or accessing medical care.” Learn more about what you can do to support the Strategy.
Share the Badge
Use the code below to place the Facing AIDS badge on your site:
<a href="http://aids.gov/facingaids/"> <img width="215" height="215" alt="Join AIDS.gov in Facing AIDS for World Aids Day. December 1, 2010" src="http://www.aids.gov/images/facing-aids-web-badge.jpg" /></a>
Share HIV Testing information
Throughout your event and when you upload the photos to your website, remind people that they can locate their local HIV testing sites by sending a text message to “KNOWIT” (566948) or by visiting the AIDS.gov HIV prevention and service provider locator.